MLB Rule Changes- Why Some are Good and Why Some are Stupid

 


In the past couple of years, we've witnessed the MLB change many rules, some better than others, but more times than not the fans are split on these decisions. The commissioner of the MLB, Rob Manfred, has said that the reason these changes keep being made are to speed up the game and make each game a lot shorter than it is currently. The main reason he wants to speed up the game is because he wants to attract more fans to watch the games. Although I understand where he is coming from, I think there are much better ways to go about trying to attract an audience, but we'll get to that later. There's also the issue of player safety, and generating more offense, which to be honest I'm kind of 50/50 on that at this point. Here are some of the rules that have been made in recent years:

Bigger Bases

The choice to make the bases bigger is the most recent change the MLB has made. They tested this new rule out in Triple-A last season, and after seeing the effects of it, they have decided to go ahead and make the change for the MLB for this upcoming season. In Triple-A last year, they made first, second, and third base 18 square inches, rather than 15 square inches like it has always been. The main reasons they decided that they wanted to make this change was to generate more offensive production, for example, more stolen bases (because there is less distance needed to be traveled to reach each base), and more infield hits. Another reason for the change is for player safety, in this scenario they want to decrease the number of collisions at bases. All in all, I'm very split on this change. I think the more offense that is generated, the more entertainment there could be, but I also think it is a little unfair to catchers and pitchers. For catchers, throwing out baserunners attempting to steal is already hard enough, but now they have to travel a lesser distance to get to each base. And for pitchers, this could be frustrating to them because they could do their job and force someone to hit a grounder, but it is now more likely that they beat out the throw because of the bigger bases. Either way, I'm interested to see where this goes and how it affects the game. 

(Picture courtesy of Spectrum News)

Banning the Shift

This new rule is one that really pisses me off. The MLB has decided to completely ban defenders shifting their positions on the field when certain batters are at the plate. I think this new rule is really stupid because it takes a big strategical aspect out of the game. If the hitter can only hit it to one spot on the field, then you should be able to prepare for it my moving your defenders around to stop said batter from getting a hit. If they can hit it anywhere else, it should be up to him to make the adjustments necessary to hit the ball in other spots on the field. People often say baseball is a mental, and strategical battle between each team, and this rule wipes out those strategic moves because they are no longer allowed to be made. This rule will be put into effect next season. 

(Picture courtesy of Checkdown Sports)

Universal DH

I've decided to end my list off with a rule that I actually am 100% excited for. Figured I would end this one off with a little positivity. Ever since 1973, the Designated Hitter has been used in the American League so that pitchers didn't have to hit in the lineup during games. The only issue with this is that it has only been used in the American League ever since it was adopted, while the National League still had the pitchers hitting this entire time. Although I will miss those occasional times where a pitcher gets a hit while they are in the lineup, I think the DH becoming universal is a very good move for baseball, especially if they are wanting to increase the offensive production throughout the entire league. 

Picture courtesy of NY Daily News)

All in all, I am very split on most of these rule changes. I don't necessarily disagree with them wanting to speed up the game because anything to make fans more interested and invested, then I'm all for it. But I also don't think them speeding up the game is completely necessary, and it isn't the only way to get more fans invested. I think the biggest thing is making the games more accessible on television. I have had a lot of experiences where I have tried to watch a Reds game and it is either not on TV or it is blacked out in my region, and then only way I can watch it is if I pay for a subscription to MLB network. Long story short, I believe that if they make the games more accessible on television, then speeding up the game isn't as important as it may seem to some people.  

Comments

  1. I love that a mere 3 inches on each base makes a different in gameplay and the amount of stolen bases. Sorta shows how nuanced the game is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understood absolutely none of this, but you make a compelling case all the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To My Sports Blog

The Madden Series Just Keeps Proving That EA Doesn't Care Anymore

Why Louisville Basketball Fans Should Be Optimistic for the Future