Top 5 Super Bowls That I’ve Watched



 I’ve been a real big sports fan ever since I was about 7 years old. Even though I’m a baseball player, my love for sports started with football. The first ever football game that I watched was Super Bowl XLIV in 2010 between Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints. Ever since that game I’ve been all about sports all the time. 

When trying to come up with an idea for a top five list for my class that would be able to fit my sports theme for the blog, I decided to go back to where my love for sports all started. So without further ado, here are the top five Super Bowls that I have witnessed in my life. 

5: Super Bowl LII- Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots 

This game is added to the list because all in all it was a fantastic game, and it was won by someone no one expected to win. The Philadelphia Eagles, led by backup quarterback, Nick Foles, came into this game as huge underdogs to the Tom Brady led New England Patriots. They ended up playing a heck of a game that ended with a 41-33 Eagles victory. This game was really fun to watch because it was filled with exciting plays, including the famous Philly Special. On fourth and goal in the second quarter, the Eagles ran a trick play that involved wide receiver Trey Burton throwing a pass to Quarterback Nick Foles for a touchdown, to give them a 22-12 lead going into halftime. Plays like that are what made this Super Bowl so special, and a joy to watch. 

4: Super Bowl XLVII- Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers 

This game is in my top five because it felt like it had everything. Kick off returns, comebacks, and even a power outage. And to add to the weirdness of this game, the coaches of both teams are brothers! Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a 21-6 lead going into halftime of the game. Then the second half is where things got weird. The second half opened up with a record breaking kickoff return by the Ravens Jacoby Jones that went for 108 yards. Then a power outage inside the stadium proceeded to suspend play for 34 minutes. After they finally got the lights working again, the Colin Kaepernic 49ers stormed back to cut the lead to 28-23. Both teams would then add on six points each to make it a 34-29 game. Colin Kaepernic would lead the 49ers all the way inside the 20 yard line, but they would end up coming up short after failing to convert on fourth down. After taking an intentional safety, the Ravens would go on to win 34-31. 

3: Super Bowl XLIX- New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks 

This Super Bowl was very iconic because of a very questionable coaching decision at the end of the game. All in all this was a really good game in general because it had Tom Brady pinned against the Legion of Boom. This was a very back and fourth game from start to finish and it ended in very chaotic fashion. New England came into the fourth quarter down 24-14, but the offense got going late in the game and took a 28-24 lead with just over two minutes remaining. With their backs against the wall, Russell Wilson was able to lead Seattle all the way to the one yard line after a ridiculous catch by Jermaine Kearse. Then the Seahawks did one of the most questionable things in sports history. With one of the most dominant power backs of all time lined up in the backfield, they decided to throw the ball rather than run, and it was picked off by the Patriots Malcom Butler in the endzone to seal the deal for the Patriots. To this day not one person could tell you what was going through Pete Carroll’s mind when he decided to throw the ball AT THE ONE YARD LINE. 

2: Super Bowl XLIV- Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints 

This Super Bowl holds a special place in my heart because it was the first Super Bowl I had ever watched live in real time, and it was the first significant sporting event that I watched with my family. The Colts came into this game as the favorites to win it, because who wouldn’t bet on a Peyton Manning led offense? Especially after a 14-2 season where they could’ve easily gone undefeated if they hadn’t rested the starters for the final two weeks for resting purposes. The Colts got out to a 10-0 lead after the first quarter, the Saints then responded with 6 unanswered points in the second quarter to enter halftime down 10-6. Then the Saints did the unthinkable: they opened up the second half with an onside kick, and to everyone’s surprised, they recovered it. They ended up scoring in that drive to make it a 13-10 game. Colts answered with a touchdown of their own to retake the lead, 17-13. The Saints then got a field goal to make it 17-16, then later got a touchdown and 2 points conversion to take a 24-17 lead. The Saints then sealed the deal with a Tracy Porter pick six, and the Saints would end up winning 31-17. This Super Bowl is at the second spot on my list because it was just a fun game to watch. It had everything from onside kicks, to pick six’s. This was the first ever Super Bowl I watched and it was a phenomenal first impression because it showed me every reason why the Super Bowl is such a special event. 

1: Super Bowl XLII- New York Giants vs. New England Patriots 

This Super Bowl pinned the Tom Brady led, undefeated New England Patriots against the Eli Manning led, 10-6 Wild Card team New York Giants. Although I said that 2010 was my first time ever watching the Super Bowl, I went back and watched the replay of this one because I didn’t watch it the first time around because I was young and not into sports yet. But I knew it was a classic, so naturally I had to go back and watch the replay of it. And I’m glad I did because it ended up deserving the number one spot on my list. This game had everything that a football fan loves, great defense, high intensity moments, and some of the most iconic plays in NFL history. This game was a defensive battle all the way up until the fourth quarter. Entering the fourth quarter of play, it was a 7-3 game in favor of the Patriots. But out of nowhere both offenses decided to click. The Giants would end up taking a 10-7 at the eleven minute mark of the quarter, then with 2:42 left the Patriots grabbed the lead back with a Randy Moss touchdown to take a 14-10 lead. At that point, I’m sure everyone was thinking that the undefeated Patriots had this one in the bag, I mean why wouldn’t they? They have a defense that has held the Giants to 10 points all game. But the Giants had other plans and pulled off one of the most iconic final drives in NFL history. This drive was filled with clutch play after clutch play, whether it be fourth down conversions, third and long conversions, or one of the most iconic plays of all time, the helmet catch by David Tyree. All of this led to the game winning touchdown when Eli Manning found Plaxico Burruss all alone in the endzone to steal the super bowl from one of the greatest teams of all time. 



Comments

  1. I like this post. Sometimes I revisit Superbowl games just to see who has won the most, the least, ect. but I liked actually reading about the specifics of your favorite games.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome To My Sports Blog

MLB Rule Changes- Why Some are Good and Why Some are Stupid

The Madden Series Just Keeps Proving That EA Doesn't Care Anymore